Course DocumentsNote: These files are the basic documents for this course, but any information on this website supercedes the information contained in these files. When in doubt, refer to this site to find the most current information.
10 June - 16 June
- Monday, June 11Topic: Introduction to course; review syllabus and policy document; introduction to the computer lab; discuss Diagnostic MemoTuesday, June 12Topic: Introduction to the computer lab; the genre of proposals; identifying problems and opportunities; discuss Unit #1: Individual Report and Proposal Read: Chapters 1 and 2Wednesday, June 13
Topic: The rhetorical situation Read: Chapter 3Thursday, June 14
Topic: Unit #1 drafting workshop; individual mini-conferences Assignment: Unit #1 formal proposal due in class; Diagnostic Memo due on Friday by midnight
17 June - 23 June
- Monday, June 18Topic: Describing the current situation; conducting primary research Read: Chapter 4 Assignment: If you haven't already completed the Unit #1 Invention Exercise, please do so over the weekend and bring an electronic version of the document to class.Tuesday, June 19Topic: Developing a plan; discuss Unit #1 Situation Report (small assignment) Read: Chapter 5Wednesday, June 20
Topic: Describing qualifications; drafting workshop Read: Chapter 6Thursday, June 21
Topic: Costs and benefits; peer critique workshop Read: Chapter 7 Assignment: Unit #1 Situation Report due in class. Please bring a draft of your completed Situation Report in print and electronic form. You will upload your Situation Report at the end of class.
24 June - 30 June
- Monday, June 25Topic: Writing with style; in-class drafting/revision exercise; discuss Unit #1 Rough Draft assignment Read: Chapters 7 and 9 Assignment: Finish reviewing the suggestions made by your classmates on your Unit #1 Situation Report, and update that document.Tuesday, June 26Topic: Document layout and design; analyzing visual documents; begin design workshop Read: Chapters 10 and 11.Wednesday, June 27
Topic: Putting it all together; continue design workshop Read: Chapter 12Thursday, June 28
Topic: Finishing touches workshop; midterm review; discuss teaming inventory Assignment: Unit #1 Rough Draft due at the end of class.
1 July - 7 July
- Monday, July 2Topic: Midterm test Assignment: Prepare for the test using the Midterm Review Document we created in class on Friday; complete the Teaming Inventory Worksheet and bring the summary page of that document with you to class.Tuesday, July 3Topic: Finishing touches workshop; peer review exercise.Wednesday, July 4
University Holiday—NO CLASSThursday, July 5
Topic: Discuss Unit #2: Grant Proposal, Unit #3: Presentation of Grant Proposal, and Funder Research Report Assignment: Unit #1 final draft due at the beginning of class. UPDATE: The due date for the Unit #1 final draft has been changed to Monday, July 9th.
8 July - 14 July
- Monday, July 9Topic: Finding the right funding source; funder research workshop; team meetings and contract negotiations (continued) Read: CFDA Grant Guide and CPB Grant Writing Tips (both linked below) Assignment: Unit #1: Individual Report and Proposal is due at the beginning of class. Please upload your document before class starts and bring the printed copy of your proposal to class. If you have not submitted them already, signed team contracts are due by the end of class.Tuesday, July 10Topic: Oral presentations of Funder Research Reports. Assignment: Funder Research Report due at the beginning of class. Please upload your document before class starts and bring 18 printed copies of your report to share with your classmates.Wednesday, July 11
Topic: Researching grant opportunities and selecting a specific funder and specific RFPThursday, July 12
Topic: Mini-conferences with Quinn to discuss your progress on Unit #2 Assignment: Team proposals for Unit #2 (a one-page document summarizing the the funding source, RFP, etc.) due at the end of class.
15 July - 21 July
- Monday, July 16Topic: Outlining and drafting the grant proposal; developing budgets. Read: Chapter 8. Assignment: Early draft of the situation section due at the beginning of class. (TRANSLATION: bring whatever your team has done over the weekend and have it accessible in electronic format.)Tuesday, July 17Topic: Oral presentations. Read: "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint" and two articles from "Presentation Zen," all linked below.Wednesday, July 18
Topic: Green Flag, Red Flag team exercise; team drafting workshop. Assignment: Rough draft of Unit #1 proposal due at the end of class.Thursday, July 19
Topic: Tailoring resumes for specific audiences; resume writing workshop; Mini-conferences with Quinn to discuss Unit #1 rough drafts Read: Quickly read at least three articles linked on the Resume Writing Resources page, as well as the two online discussions linked on that page. Assignment: Bring a current copy of your resume to class.
22 July - 28 July
- Monday, July 23Topic: Developing PowerPoint storyboards; team workshops.Tuesday, July 24Topic: Team workshops; storyboard conferences with Quinn (Team 1 and Team 2). Assignment: Unit #2 second draft (complete draft) due at the end of class. Submit the electronic file of your team's proposal to Quinn for track-changes review.Wednesday, July 25
Topic: Team workshops; storyboard conferences with Quinn (Team 3 and Team 4).Thursday, July 26
Topic: Team workshops; mini-conferences with Quinn to discuss final steps. Assignment: Unit #3 rough draft due at the end of class. Submit your PowerPoint file to Quinn for review over the weekend.
29 July - 4 August
- Monday, July 30Topic: Rehearse PowerPoint presentations; discuss final memo assignment.Tuesday, July 31Topic: Oral presentations by Team 2 and Team 1.Wednesday, August 1
Topic: Oral presentations by Team 3 and Team 4.Thursday, July 2
Topic: Course wrap-up; instructor evaluations. Assignment: The final memo is due by 2:00 p.m. on Friday, August 3. Memos received after this deadline will not be graded.