Quinn Warnick
Week 15 Update
by Quinn Warnick - Thursday, 15 April 2010, 4:48 PM

Class,

I have updated the class website with details for Week 15. Here is a quick overview of what we'll be doing:

- On Tuesday, we will spend the day in workshop mode, learning how to edit CSS files to change the appearance of your portfolio templates. Before you come to class, please select three templates that you think might work well for your eportfolio and bring them to class on a flash drive. I will look at these during class on Tuesday and give you some feedback about which one might work best for this assignment. To reiterate what I said in class today, please look at a LOT of templates before you choose your top three. Picking the right template is incredibly important, so take the time to find some options that you really like. (Remember to copy/paste the code from the Style Sheet Test into your templates to see how it looks.)

- On Thursday, I will be gone, so we will not meet as a class. However, our regular lab will be open and available for your use. Some of you may want to come to the lab and work together on modifying your templates.

- By Saturday night, you should have a customized homepage for your portfolio, and it should be uploaded to your Iowa State website. You will need to submit the URL to your homepage before midnight on Saturday night.

Some of you may be feeling overwhelmed or confused by the HTML and CSS stuff. That's OK, but this weekend is the time to overcome those issues. On the class website under Week 15, I have linked to the Lynda.com videos and also to the Opera Web Standards Curriculum lessons, in case you prefer to read a tutorial rather than watch one. Please use these two resources to get comfortable with editing HTML and CSS files. On Tuesday we'll be jumping into the deep end of the pool, so if you show up wearing your water wings, you might have a rough day.

As always, if you have any questions about these items, please let me know.

Thanks,

Quinn