Quinn Warnick
Week 2 Update
by Quinn Warnick - Thursday, 14 January 2010, 1:29 PM

Class,

Greetings from the Des Moines International Airport! I'm waiting for my flight to take off, so I thought I would take advantage of this opportunity to send the first weekly email about English 314. At the end of each week, I will update the class website with additional details about the following week. After I have updated the site, I will post a message to the News Forum (located at the top of the center column on the class website) with a summary of the updates. These News Forum posts will be sent to the email address you used to create your account on the class website. If you have any questions about any of these updates, please feel free to email me (warnick@iastate.edu).

Here is a short summary of what we'll be doing in class next week:

- On Tuesday, we will talk about targeting our writing for specific audiences. We will also conduct a "jargon" exercise and develop the evaluation criteria for Unit #1. Please read Chapter 3 before you come to class, and bring three things with you to class: (1) Your textbook. (2) A list of ten terms frequently used in your field (workplace, club, department, etc.) that you think your classmates will be unable to define. (3) A list of specific criteria you think I should use when I grade your Unit #1 project.

- On Thursday, we will dive a bit deeper into technical definitions. Please read Chapter 18 before you come to class and be prepared for a quiz on both chapters you read this week. Finally, at the beginning of class, you will need to submit (in electronic format) a tentative list of the 20 terms you plan to include in your glossary and a one-paragraph description of the product or process you will describe for Unit #1.

If you have any questions about these items, please let me know. Otherwise, congratulate yourself on surviving the first week of the new semester and enjoy your weekend!

- Quinn