Quinn Warnick
English 314 Week 12 Update
by Quinn Warnick - Tuesday, 3 November 2009, 11:28 PM

Class,

I know it's only Tuesday night, but I wanted to update the class website before I left for my conference. I have updated the website with details for Week 12. Here are the highlights, as well as a few reminders about what we discussed in class:

- On both Tuesday and Thursday, we will spend the entire class period listening to your oral presentations. Please check the website to see when your team presents.

- The due date for Unit #3 has been moved from November 12th to November 17th, which will give your team an extra weekend to polish the final draft of your written report. Before you come to class on the 17th, you will need to upload electronic copies of your written report and your PowerPoint presentation to the class website. In addition, you should bring a copy of your written report to class.

- I will be gone this Thursday, but the lab will be available for you to meet with your teammates. I won't be there to take attendance, so if you would prefer to meet somewhere else during class time, that's fine. However, I highly recommend that you use this time slot to work on drafting and rehearsing your oral presentation as a team.

- If your team would like to rehearse your presentation in front of me before you deliver it to the class, I am available to meet with you on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of next week. Please contact me via email to set up an appointment. (Note: these meetings should be "dress rehearsals," not drafting sessions.)

- Someone asked me if you need to wear formal attire for these presentations. The answer to that is, as usual, "It depends." Depending on the company you have selected, you might be expected to dress up for work each day. On the other hand, members of the "web development team" probably don't wear business suits to work, so I don't expect to see you in formal attire. However, you should try to look the part (e.g., probably avoid jeans and t-shirts) when you give your presentation.

- Last but not least, a reminder about the format for your presentations: Each presentation should last 20 minutes, with 5 minutes of Q&A afterward. Each member of the team should participate as equally as possible, and "risk taking" will be looked upon favorably. Think about what we discussed in class today and consider what your team can do to break the cycle of bad PowerPoint presentations.

If you have any questions, I will be checking email while I'm at my conference.

Good luck with your presentations—I look forward to seeing them next week!

- Quinn