Quinn Warnick
Quinn Warnick -- Take Two: New Twists on Old Favorites
by Quinn Warnick - Tuesday, 12 February 2008, 10:17 AM

Here's my playlist. The artists listed in brackets [like this] are the original artists. Enjoy!

1. Common People — William Shatner (f. Joe Jackson) [Pulp]
2. Everyday is Like Sunday — Colin Meloy [Morrissey]
3. Everlasting Love — U2 [Robert Knight]
4. Such Great Heights — Iron and Wine [The Postal Service]
5. In Between Days — Ben Folds [The Cure]
6. Hey Ya — Obadiah Parker [OutKast]
7. Landslide — Smashing Pumpkins [Fleetwood Mac]
8. A Little Respect — Wheatus [Erasure]
9. Since U Been Gone — Ted Leo [Kelly Clarkson]
10. You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away — Eddie Vedder [The Beatles]
11. Hurt — Johnny Cash [Nine Inch Nails]
12. Romeo and Juliet — Indigo Girls [Dire Straits]
13. The Sign — The Mountain Goats [Ace of Bass]
14. Smooth Criminal — Alien Ant Farm [Michael Jackson]
15. Come on Eileen — Save Ferris [Dexy’s Midnight Runners]
16. The Only Living Boy in New York — Everything but the Girl [Simon & Garfunkel]
17. Head On — Pixies [The Jesus and Mary Chain]
18. Pour Some Sugar on Me — Emm Gryner [Def Leppard]
19. Across the Universe — Fiona Apple [The Beatles]
20. Mad World — Gary Jules [Tears for Fears]
21. Over the Rainbow — Israel Kamakawiwo’ole [Judy Garland]

Picture of Catlin Thompson
Re: Quinn Warnick -- Take Two: New Twists on Old Favorites
by Catlin Thompson - Tuesday, 19 February 2008, 1:23 AM

Your cd idea was a really good one. I used to have this favorite cd that my brother gave me called "Pop Goes Punk" where punk bands did covers to pop songs and some of them were sooo good!! I think my favorite songs on the whole cd were probably the remake of "The Sign" and "Hey Ya." I thought that there was a really nice range of music...it was definitely an enjoyable cd that probably people with all different music tastes would like. The design of the cd was cool too. I know we talked all about your cd in class and stuff but I liked the idea of how you used the "Mona Lisa."
me
by Eric Skarnes - Tuesday, 26 February 2008, 12:01 AM

I loved the Hey Ya song by Obadiah Parker.  Outkast is one of my favorite groups and hearing the song like this was great.  I also think the Smooth Criminal cover may be one of the best ever.  I liked theme for the CD because it allowed for a variety of music to keep all types of listeners interested.  The cover songs were nice cause they took songs I could never listen to like Since U Been Gone and Over the Rainbow and remade them into enjoyable versions.  We talked about all the aspects of the visuals of the CD case but my favorite part of the liner notes was reading the guy covering Over the Rainbow is a 700-pound Hawaiian.
Picture of Brendon Johnson
by Brendon Johnson - Monday, 3 March 2008, 10:11 PM

I dig the CD quite a bit.  Nothing really turned me off, though I do disagree that the cover of Hurt is better than the original but I'm a NIN fan and not so much a Cash fan.  I like the presentation of the booklet, it's visually pleasing but informative of your choices as well.  I'm not quite as much of a fan of the graphics but they certainly do well with the theme.  Personally I think  the Mona Lisa always annoyed me because it's an over hyped piece of art.  Ah well, if any bit of art deserves a defacement it's that one.
Quinn Warnick
by Quinn Warnick - Wednesday, 5 March 2008, 1:52 PM

Ah well, if any bit of art deserves a defacement it's that one.

I completely agree! I've never really liked the Mona Lisa, either, which is why I love Duchamp's L.H.O.O.Q. (that's the title of his "Mona Lisa with a moustache" piece). For me, it's the moustache that makes Duchamp's version "even better than the real thing."
Picture of Alli Rowedder
by Alli Rowedder - Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 10:40 AM

I loved the CD, its always interesting to hear some new version of old classics or even some newer version of new ones. The Johnny Cash cover of NIN's "Hurt" is one of my favorite cover songs. Another cover that I absolutely love is "Across the Universe" by Fiona Apple by way of the Beatles. I first heard it in the soundtrack to Pleasantville, and ever since then I've been hooked to Fiona Apple. That's whats really fun about cover songs. They can give you a way to learn about older bands that you may have never heard of.
Picture of Sam Johnson
by Sam Johnson - Tuesday, 25 March 2008, 10:30 AM

I loved listening to this CD because I had only heard a couple of the remakes before. I hadn't even heard a lot of the originals either, though. I loved the entire theme of your CD and how you tied the Mona Lisa into it. I also liked the variety of music on the CD. Your liner notes were really cool too because they give a little insight to your own taste in music. I really enjoyed listening to it and I loved the idea!