Quinn Warnick
Week 11 Update, Plus Important News
by Quinn Warnick - Saturday, 15 March 2008, 3:48 PM

Class,

I have updated the class website with details for Week 11, after we return from spring break. For those of you who missed class on Thursday, you should be aware of a few important announcements:

1. The due date for the Social Networking assignment has changed from March 25 (Tuesday) to March 27 (Thursday). Although we won't be spending any additional class time on this assignment, I hope the extra two days will help you relax a little more during spring break.

2. Because we haven't spent much time talking about your Facebook groups, I have decided that you don't need to refer to your group in your essay, as originally required by the assignment sheet. (Of course, if you WANT to use your Facebook group as evidence in your paper, you're certainly welcome to do so; it just isn't required anymore.) Please refer to the updated Social Networking assignment page to see this change. Also, if you haven't done so already, please post a link to your Facebook group using the "wall" on our English 213 Facebook site.

3. In class on Thursday, we completed the Social Networking Peer Review Exercise. If you missed class, I would strongly encourage you to complete this exercise on your own sometime during spring break. If you would like me to review your essay before you submit it, I will have time on Monday the 24th and Tuesday the 25th. Please email me to set up an appointment.

4. Finally, before you submit your Social Networking assignment, please review the evaluation criteria at the bottom of the original assignment sheet. As you have probably noticed by now, I use these criteria to grade your assignments, and I do my best to stick to the criteria I have outlined in advance. (In other words, you shouldn’t be surprised that I expect to see screenshots, charts, graphs, or other visuals included in your essay.) If you feel that one or more of these criteria are restricting your creativity or otherwise weakening your essay, please talk to me before you submit the final assignment. I am willing to make exceptions in my grading policies if you have good reasons for ignoring some of the criteria.

When we come back from the break, we'll be starting a new unit, but you don't need to do anything to prepare for class other than watch a few short movies (linked on the class website). The only time you should spend on English 213 over the break should be focused on your Social Networking essay. And whatever else you do, don't forget to take some time off!

Enjoy your spring break,

Quinn