Quinn Warnick
Week 3 Update
by Quinn Warnick - Friday, 25 January 2008, 5:41 PM

Class,

I've updated the course website with details for Week 3. Please check the website at your earliest convenience; until then, here are a few important announcements:

- I have postponed the due date for your Mix CDs to February 4th. This new deadline will give you an extra weekend to work on your CDs, which I hope will be helpful for many of you. On the 4th (a Monday), each of you will meet with me to print your CD labels, covers, and liner notes on one of the color printers in Ross Hall. If you visit the website, you'll see that I have set up a few dozen time slots on the 4th for you to meet with me. You can sign up for an appointment beginning right now. Please make sure you've signed up before class on Tuesday so we can resolve any scheduling conflicts.

- Before you come to class on Tuesday, please complete the Mix CD Status Report on the class website; this will help me know what we need to cover during class on Tuesday, and it will help you better understand what you need to accomplish before you submit your Mix CD assignment.

- We will spend most of Tuesday's class in workshop mode, focused on the Mix CD assignment. This will be the last in-class time to work on your CD, so you may need to find additional time outside of class to work in one of the on-campus labs. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., the lab across from my office (420 Ross Hall) is open, and the lab monitor is an expert with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc. If you have specific questions about these programs, you may want to schedule time to come to the 420 lab during these hours. If those times don't work for you, you can find other labs on campus that have InDesign by visiting this link:

http://www.it.iastate.edu/labsdb/search.php?advanced=1

To find a list of the labs with InDesign, use the pull-down menu labeled "Software" and select InDesign, then click "Search."

- I have updated the "Image and Design Resources" page with links to a few additional sites. If you're still searching for public-domain images to use for your Mix CD project, you may want to take a look at these new resources.

- On Thursday, we'll begin working on our next big assignment: Interrogating the Interface. I've posted a few online reading assignments and a short journal entry assignment that you should complete before coming to class on Thursday.

If you have any questions about any of these items, please email me.

Have a great weekend!

- Quinn