Quinn Warnick
English 302 Week 9 Update
by Quinn Warnick - Saturday, 14 October 2006, 12:02 AM

Class,

I have posted the Week 9 update to the class website. Here is a quick overview:

- On Tuesday we will discuss the Brookhaven Lab case (the one mentioned in the case study response assignment) and begin drafting your responses to the case. Before you come to class on Tuesday, please reread the case study assignment, visit the Brookhaven National Lab website, and then find as much additional information about Brookhaven Lab as you can. You may want to start with websites like Google News and Wikipedia, but you should also use other, more advanced research tools (e.g., Lexis-Nexis) available through the Parks Library website. Search terms like "brookhaven," "tritium," and "reactor" might help you find what you're looking for. Print out at least one additional resource (beyond the case itself) and bring it to class. For instance, I found this article from the New York Times:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/9911/msg00530.html

I will print it out and bring it to class, which means that each of you needs to find a different source discussing the communication problems at Brookhaven and bring it with you to class.

- On Thursday we will conduct a document-design workshop in the computer lab, becoming more familiar with Microsoft Word's stylesheet functions and other advanced features. You will need to bring a draft (in electronic format) of your "communication plan" for the case study response assignment. (You do not need to have a draft of your memo to me completed by Thursday.) It is important that you have an electronic version of your document, since we will spend most of the class period working in the computer lab.

If you have any questions about our activities on either of these days, please let me know via email. Otherwise, I'll see you on Tuesday.

Have a great weekend,

Quinn