Quinn Warnick
English 302 Week 4 Update
by Quinn Warnick - Friday, 8 September 2006, 2:32 PM

Class,

A couple of quick things before you start enjoying your weekend:

I have posted the Week 4 updates to the class website. The schedule has changed slightly (including two short online readings for Tuesday), so please check the site sometime this weekend. On Tuesday, we'll be in 3379 Food Science, and we'll be working on the correspondence unit. IMPORTANT: Make sure you bring paper copies of your positive and negative letters with you to class.

I have also updated the grades for several assignments, including the jargon exercise, the correspondence scenarios, the first paragraph revision exercise, the diagnostic memos, and all three quizzes. When you login to the site and click on "Grades" in the left-hand column, you will now see an accurate grade for the work you've done so far. Those of you who who haven't given their individual presentations will see that item listed on the grades page, but don't worry -- I have excluded you from that assignment, so the cumulative grade you see for the course is still correct.

If you're concerned about your grade in the course, I would urge you to remember that the work you've done so far represents less than 10% of the work you'll do this semester. No one in the class has locked in an "F," and no one has earned a guaranteed "A." As the semester progresses, you'll get a more accurate picture of where you stand with your course grade.

After our discussion on email etiquette, I thought I should also mention the reason why I graded your diagnostic memo assignments USING ALL CAPS. I realize that this format suggests that I'm "shouting," but when I created this assignment, I hadn't configured the server to allow me to use Microsoft Word's track changes feature. I will grade future assignments using track changes (I will re-upload your graded assignments to the site), but for this assignment, I hope that when you read my comments, you will imagine my calm, quiet voice rather than my shouting voice (which you have yet to hear!).

If you have any questions about the course, your diagnostic memo assignment grade, or the way the website works, please let me know.

Thanks,

Quinn

PS -- Due to a departmental obligation, I won't be able to hold office hours after class on Tuesday. If you need to see me, please send me an email and we can find another time to meet.