This is the course website for English 213, Section A, taught by Quinn Warnick at Iowa State University during fall 2008. Please refer to the policy document, found at the top of the center column, for more information about this class. Updates to the syllabus will be posted to this site one week in advance, and any changes to the readings and/or assignments will be reflected in the summaries for each week.
Journal #4: Online Identity Self-Assessment
1. Google yourself. If you have a common name, Google your name AND your home town (e.g., "Quinn Warnick Ames Iowa"). How many "good" results does this Google search return? In other words, how many of the results are actually about you?
2. Try to find your address and phone number using Google or an online telephone directory. Are you listed?
3. Go to Facebook; if you're logged in as yourself, log out. Then search for yourself. If you have a profile, is it listed? Next, login to the site using a friend's or roommate's account (get their permission to do this) and search for yourself again. How much information about yourself is available to other Iowa State students?
4. Go to MySpace and repeat the steps under question #3. How much information about yourself is available on MySpace?
5. How comfortable are you with the amount of personal information that's available to others on the Internet?